JEM Genealogy
Ornes Moore Motley Echols Edwards Fackler Parsons Reynolds Smith Brown Bruce Munger Beer Kern Viele Nims Baker Bondurant Von Krogh Magnus Munthe and others
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

John Yates, Esq

Male Abt 1616 - 1648  (32 years)


Generations:      Standard    |    Vertical    |    Compact    |    Box    |    Text    |    Ahnentafel    |    Fan Chart    |    Media

Generation: 1

  1. 1.  John Yates, Esq was born about 1616 in , , , England; died in 1648 in Norfolk, Independent Cities, Virginia, USA.

    Notes:

    Known as John the Emigrant, John Yates embarked on the America to be transported from England to New England from London, William Barker or Barber, captain, June 23, 1635, when he was 20 years old. On May 4, 1636, John Yates received a grant of 150 acres in Elizabeth City county on a neck of land on the east side of the Elizabeth (Nansemond) River for transporting himself, wife Joan and son Richard to New England from England. (In other words, he was returning.) He received another 200 acres on the north side of the Elizabeth River for transporting four persons to New England, including his daughter Mary, in 1636. Thus, apparently, he made three voyages in one year. He is probably also the John Yates, 19, transported in the Hopewell to Barbados, Feb. 17, 1634/5 and identical with the John Yates, ship's carpenter, listed in the crew of the "Foxe" in 1646. He also received a grant of 600 acres in Lower Norfolk county on March 10, 1638 (Book 1, Bishop Meade's Old Churches and Families of Virginia, vol. I, p. 359). In a grant of Sept. 21, 1636, he is called John Gater, and his wife named as Joan Gater. His patents were renewed in the name of John Gater on July 26, 1638 (800 acres by now). With his wife's 200, he owned an even 1,000 acres when he died. He was churchwarden of Lynhaven parish in 1642 and died before August 1648, when his widow Joan was made administrator of his affairs by the Lower Norfolk County court. An Epaphroditus Lawson sued him for a debt in 1639, prosecuting the affair for ten years. He lived in what became Dorchester in Norfolk County on a neck of land bounded by the creek called Dun out of the Mire. His grants were on the Nansemond River in a place called Kicoughtan by the Nansemond Indians. Most of the land grantees were from Dorsetshire and surrounding area in southern England. He was a shipwright, or as we might say today, "ship engineer." His descendants moved first to Halifax County (Brunswick, then Lunenburg), then Pittsylvania County, Virginia. They also had land grants in North Carolina.
    [Moore_from ancestry_09262007.FTW]

    Known as John the Emigrant, John Yates embarked on the America to be transported from England to New England from London, William Barker or Barber, captain, June 23, 1635, when he was 20 years old. O n May 4, 1636, John Yates received a grant of 150 acres in Elizabeth City county on a neck of land on the east side of the Elizabeth (Nansemond) River for transporting himself, wife Joan and son Richa rd to New England from England. (In other words, he was returning.) He received another 200 acres on the north side of the Elizabeth River for transporting four persons to New England, including his d aughter Mary, in 1636. Thus, apparently, he made three voyages in one year. He is probably also the John Yates, 19, transported in the Hopewell to Barbados, Feb. 17, 1634/5 and identical with the Joh n Yates, ship's carpenter, listed in the crew of the "Foxe" in 1646. He also received a grant of 600 acres in Lower Norfolk county on March 10, 1638 (Book 1, Bishop Meade's Old Churches and Familie s of Virginia, vol. I, p. 359). In a grant of Sept. 21, 1636, he is called John Gater, and his wife named as Joan Gater. His patents were renewed in the name of John Gater on July 26, 1638 (800 acre s by now). With his wife's 200, he owned an even 1,000 acres when he died. He was churchwarden of Lynhaven parish in 1642 and died before August 1648, when his widow Joan was made administrator of hi s affairs by the Lower Norfolk County court. An Epaphroditus Lawson sued him for a debt in 1639, prosecuting the affair for ten years. He lived in what became Dorchester in Norfolk County on a nec k of land bounded by the creek called Dun out of the Mire. His grants were on the Nansemond River in a place called Kicoughtan by the Nansemond Indians. Most of the land grantees were from Dorsetshir e and surrounding area in southern England. He was a shipwright, or as we might say today, "ship engineer." His descendants moved first to Halifax County (Brunswick, then Lunenburg), then Pittsylvani a County, Virginia. They also had land grants in North Carolina.

    Known as John the Emigrant, John Yates embarked on the America to be transported from England to New England from London, William Barker or Barber, captain, June 23, 1635, when he was 20 years old. On May 4, 1636, John Yates received a grant of 150 acres in Elizabeth City county on a neck of land on the east side of the Elizabeth (Nansemond) River for transporting himself, wife Joan and son Richard to New England from England. (In other words, he was returning.) He received another 200 acres on the north side of the Elizabeth River for transporting four persons to New England, including his daughter Mary, in 1636. Thus, apparently, he made three voyages in one year. He is probably also the John Yates, 19, transported in the Hopewell to Barbados, Feb. 17, 1634/5 and identical with the John Yates, ship's carpenter, listed in the crew of the "Foxe" in 1646. He also received a grant of 600 acres in Lower Norfolk county on March 10, 1638 (Book 1, Bishop Meade's Old Churches and Families of Virginia, vol. I, p. 359). In a grant of Sept. 21, 1636, he is called John Gater, and his wife named as Joan Gater. His patents were renewed in the name of John Gater on July 26, 1638 (800 acres by now). With his wife's 200, he owned an even 1,000 acres when he died. He was churchwarden of Lynhaven parish in 1642 and died before August 1648, when his widow Joan was made administrator of his affairs by the Lower Norfolk County court. An Epaphroditus Lawson sued him for a debt in 1639, prosecuting the affair for ten years. He lived in what became Dorchester in Norfolk County on a neck of land bounded by the creek called Dun out of the Mire. His grants were on the Nansemond River in a place called Kicoughtan by the Nansemond Indians. Most of the land grantees were from Dorsetshire and surrounding area in southern England. He was a shipwright, or as we might say today, "ship engineer." His descendants moved first to Halifax County (Brunswick, then Lunenburg), then Pittsylvania County, Virginia. They also had land grants in North Carolina.
    [Moore_from ancestry_09262007.FTW]

    Known as John the Emigrant, John Yates embarked on the America to be transported from England to New England from London, William Barker or Barber, captain, June 23, 1635, when he was 20 years old. O n May 4, 1636, John Yates received a grant of 150 acres in Elizabeth City county on a neck of land on the east side of the Elizabeth (Nansemond) River for transporting himself, wife Joan and son Richa rd to New England from England. (In other words, he was returning.) He received another 200 acres on the north side of the Elizabeth River for transporting four persons to New England, including his d aughter Mary, in 1636. Thus, apparently, he made three voyages in one year. He is probably also the John Yates, 19, transported in the Hopewell to Barbados, Feb. 17, 1634/5 and identical with the Joh n Yates, ship's carpenter, listed in the crew of the "Foxe" in 1646. He also received a grant of 600 acres in Lower Norfolk county on March 10, 1638 (Book 1, Bishop Meade's Old Churches and Familie s of Virginia, vol. I, p. 359). In a grant of Sept. 21, 1636, he is called John Gater, and his wife named as Joan Gater. His patents were renewed in the name of John Gater on July 26, 1638 (800 acre s by now). With his wife's 200, he owned an even 1,000 acres when he died. He was churchwarden of Lynhaven parish in 1642 and died before August 1648, when his widow Joan was made administrator of hi s affairs by the Lower Norfolk County court. An Epaphroditus Lawson sued him for a debt in 1639, prosecuting the affair for ten years. He lived in what became Dorchester in Norfolk County on a nec k of land bounded by the creek called Dun out of the Mire. His grants were on the Nansemond River in a place called Kicoughtan by the Nansemond Indians. Most of the land grantees were from Dorsetshir e and surrounding area in southern England. He was a shipwright, or as we might say today, "ship engineer." His descendants moved first to Halifax County (Brunswick, then Lunenburg), then Pittsylvani a County, Virginia. They also had land grants in North Carolina.

    Known as John the Emigrant, John Yates embarked on the America to be transported from England to New England from London, William Barker or Barber, captain, June 23, 1635, when he was 20 years old. On May 4, 1636, John Yates received a grant of 150 acres in Elizabeth City county on a neck of land on the east side of the Elizabeth (Nansemond) River for transporting himself, wife Joan and son Richard to New England from England. (In other words, he was returning.) He received another 200 acres on the north side of the Elizabeth River for transporting four persons to New England, including his daughter Mary, in 1636. Thus, apparently, he made three voyages in one year. He is probably also the John Yates, 19, transported in the Hopewell to Barbados, Feb. 17, 1634/5 and identical with the John Yates, ship's carpenter, listed in the crew of the "Foxe" in 1646. He also received a grant of 600 acres in Lower Norfolk county on March 10, 1638 (Book 1, Bishop Meade's Old Churches and Families of Virginia, vol. I, p. 359). In a grant of Sept. 21, 1636, he is called John Gater, and his wife named as Joan Gater. His patents were renewed in the name of John Gater on July 26, 1638 (800 acres by now). With his wife's 200, he owned an even 1,000 acres when he died. He was churchwarden of Lynhaven parish in 1642 and died before August 1648, when his widow Joan was made administrator of his affairs by the Lower Norfolk County court. An Epaphroditus Lawson sued him for a debt in 1639, prosecuting the affair for ten years. He lived in what became Dorchester in Norfolk County on a neck of land bounded by the creek called Dun out of the Mire. His grants were on the Nansemond River in a place called Kicoughtan by the Nansemond Indians. Most of the land grantees were from Dorsetshire and surrounding area in southern England. He was a shipwright, or as we might say today, "ship engineer." His descendants moved first to Halifax County (Brunswick, then Lunenburg), then Pittsylvania County, Virginia. They also had land grants in North Carolina.
    [Moore_from ancestry_09262007.FTW]

    Known as John the Emigrant, John Yates embarked on the America to be transported from England to New England from London, William Barker or Barber, captain, June 23, 1635, when he was 20 years old. O n May 4, 1636, John Yates received a grant of 150 acres in Elizabeth City county on a neck of land on the east side of the Elizabeth (Nansemond) River for transporting himself, wife Joan and son Richa rd to New England from England. (In other words, he was returning.) He received another 200 acres on the north side of the Elizabeth River for transporting four persons to New England, including his d aughter Mary, in 1636. Thus, apparently, he made three voyages in one year. He is probably also the John Yates, 19, transported in the Hopewell to Barbados, Feb. 17, 1634/5 and identical with the Joh n Yates, ship's carpenter, listed in the crew of the "Foxe" in 1646. He also received a grant of 600 acres in Lower Norfolk county on March 10, 1638 (Book 1, Bishop Meade's Old Churches and Familie s of Virginia, vol. I, p. 359). In a grant of Sept. 21, 1636, he is called John Gater, and his wife named as Joan Gater. His patents were renewed in the name of John Gater on July 26, 1638 (800 acre s by now). With his wife's 200, he owned an even 1,000 acres when he died. He was churchwarden of Lynhaven parish in 1642 and died before August 1648, when his widow Joan was made administrator of hi s affairs by the Lower Norfolk County court. An Epaphroditus Lawson sued him for a debt in 1639, prosecuting the affair for ten years. He lived in what became Dorchester in Norfolk County on a nec k of land bounded by the creek called Dun out of the Mire. His grants were on the Nansemond River in a place called Kicoughtan by the Nansemond Indians. Most of the land grantees were from Dorsetshir e and surrounding area in southern England. He was a shipwright, or as we might say today, "ship engineer." His descendants moved first to Halifax County (Brunswick, then Lunenburg), then Pittsylvani a County, Virginia. They also had land grants in North Carolina.

    Known as John the Emigrant, John Yates embarked on the America to be transported from England to New England from London, William Barker or Barber, captain, June 23, 1635, when he was 20 years old. On May 4, 1636, John Yates received a grant of 150 acres in Elizabeth City county on a neck of land on the east side of the Elizabeth (Nansemond) River for transporting himself, wife Joan and son Richard to New England from England. (In other words, he was returning.) He received another 200 acres on the north side of the Elizabeth River for transporting four persons to New England, including his daughter Mary, in 1636. Thus, apparently, he made three voyages in one year. He is probably also the John Yates, 19, transported in the Hopewell to Barbados, Feb. 17, 1634/5 and identical with the John Yates, ship's carpenter, listed in the crew of the "Foxe" in 1646. He also received a grant of 600 acres in Lower Norfolk county on March 10, 1638 (Book 1, Bishop Meade's Old Churches and Families of Virginia, vol. I, p. 359). In a grant of Sept. 21, 1636, he is called John Gater, and his wife named as Joan Gater. His patents were renewed in the name of John Gater on July 26, 1638 (800 acres by now). With his wife's 200, he owned an even 1,000 acres when he died. He was churchwarden of Lynhaven parish in 1642 and died before August 1648, when his widow Joan was made administrator of his affairs by the Lower Norfolk County court. An Epaphroditus Lawson sued him for a debt in 1639, prosecuting the affair for ten years. He lived in what became Dorchester in Norfolk County on a neck of land bounded by the creek called Dun out of the Mire. His grants were on the Nansemond River in a place called Kicoughtan by the Nansemond Indians. Most of the land grantees were from Dorsetshire and surrounding area in southern England. He was a shipwright, or as we might say today, "ship engineer." His descendants moved first to Halifax County (Brunswick, then Lunenburg), then Pittsylvania County, Virginia. They also had land grants in North Carolina.
    [Moore_from ancestry_09262007.FTW]

    Known as John the Emigrant, John Yates embarked on the America to be transported from England to New England from London, William Barker or Barber, captain, June 23, 1635, when he was 20 years old. O n May 4, 1636, John Yates received a grant of 150 acres in Elizabeth City county on a neck of land on the east side of the Elizabeth (Nansemond) River for transporting himself, wife Joan and son Richa rd to New England from England. (In other words, he was returning.) He received another 200 acres on the north side of the Elizabeth River for transporting four persons to New England, including his d aughter Mary, in 1636. Thus, apparently, he made three voyages in one year. He is probably also the John Yates, 19, transported in the Hopewell to Barbados, Feb. 17, 1634/5 and identical with the Joh n Yates, ship's carpenter, listed in the crew of the "Foxe" in 1646. He also received a grant of 600 acres in Lower Norfolk county on March 10, 1638 (Book 1, Bishop Meade's Old Churches and Familie s of Virginia, vol. I, p. 359). In a grant of Sept. 21, 1636, he is called John Gater, and his wife named as Joan Gater. His patents were renewed in the name of John Gater on July 26, 1638 (800 acre s by now). With his wife's 200, he owned an even 1,000 acres when he died. He was churchwarden of Lynhaven parish in 1642 and died before August 1648, when his widow Joan was made administrator of hi s affairs by the Lower Norfolk County court. An Epaphroditus Lawson sued him for a debt in 1639, prosecuting the affair for ten years. He lived in what became Dorchester in Norfolk County on a nec k of land bounded by the creek called Dun out of the Mire. His grants were on the Nansemond River in a place called Kicoughtan by the Nansemond Indians. Most of the land grantees were from Dorsetshir e and surrounding area in southern England. He was a shipwright, or as we might say today, "ship engineer." His descendants moved first to Halifax County (Brunswick, then Lunenburg), then Pittsylvani a County, Virginia. They also had land grants in North Carolina.

    Known as John the Emigrant, John Yates embarked on the America to be transported from England to New England from London, William Barker or Barber, captain, June 23, 1635, when he was 20 years old. On May 4, 1636, John Yates received a grant of 150 acres in Elizabeth City county on a neck of land on the east side of the Elizabeth (Nansemond) River for transporting himself, wife Joan and son Richard to New England from England. (In other words, he was returning.) He received another 200 acres on the north side of the Elizabeth River for transporting four persons to New England, including his daughter Mary, in 1636. Thus, apparently, he made three voyages in one year. He is probably also the John Yates, 19, transported in the Hopewell to Barbados, Feb. 17, 1634/5 and identical with the John Yates, ship's carpenter, listed in the crew of the "Foxe" in 1646. He also received a grant of 600 acres in Lower Norfolk county on March 10, 1638 (Book 1, Bishop Meade's Old Churches and Families of Virginia, vol. I, p. 359). In a grant of Sept. 21, 1636, he is called John Gater, and his wife named as Joan Gater. His patents were renewed in the name of John Gater on July 26, 1638 (800 acres by now). With his wife's 200, he owned an even 1,000 acres when he died. He was churchwarden of Lynhaven parish in 1642 and died before August 1648, when his widow Joan was made administrator of his affairs by the Lower Norfolk County court. An Epaphroditus Lawson sued him for a debt in 1639, prosecuting the affair for ten years. He lived in what became Dorchester in Norfolk County on a neck of land bounded by the creek called Dun out of the Mire. His grants were on the Nansemond River in a place called Kicoughtan by the Nansemond Indians. Most of the land grantees were from Dorsetshire and surrounding area in southern England. He was a shipwright, or as we might say today, "ship engineer." His descendants moved first to Halifax County (Brunswick, then Lunenburg), then Pittsylvania County, Virginia. They also had land grants in North Carolina.
    [Moore_from ancestry_09262007.FTW]

    Known as John the Emigrant, John Yates embarked on the America to be transported from England to New England from London, William Barker or Barber, captain, June 23, 1635, when he was 20 years old. O n May 4, 1636, John Yates received a grant of 150 acres in Elizabeth City county on a neck of land on the east side of the Elizabeth (Nansemond) River for transporting himself, wife Joan and son Richa rd to New England from England. (In other words, he was returning.) He received another 200 acres on the north side of the Elizabeth River for transporting four persons to New England, including his d aughter Mary, in 1636. Thus, apparently, he made three voyages in one year. He is probably also the John Yates, 19, transported in the Hopewell to Barbados, Feb. 17, 1634/5 and identical with the Joh n Yates, ship's carpenter, listed in the crew of the "Foxe" in 1646. He also received a grant of 600 acres in Lower Norfolk county on March 10, 1638 (Book 1, Bishop Meade's Old Churches and Familie s of Virginia, vol. I, p. 359). In a grant of Sept. 21, 1636, he is called John Gater, and his wife named as Joan Gater. His patents were renewed in the name of John Gater on July 26, 1638 (800 acre s by now). With his wife's 200, he owned an even 1,000 acres when he died. He was churchwarden of Lynhaven parish in 1642 and died before August 1648, when his widow Joan was made administrator of hi s affairs by the Lower Norfolk County court. An Epaphroditus Lawson sued him for a debt in 1639, prosecuting the affair for ten years. He lived in what became Dorchester in Norfolk County on a nec k of land bounded by the creek called Dun out of the Mire. His grants were on the Nansemond River in a place called Kicoughtan by the Nansemond Indians. Most of the land grantees were from Dorsetshir e and surrounding area in southern England. He was a shipwright, or as we might say today, "ship engineer." His descendants moved first to Halifax County (Brunswick, then Lunenburg), then Pittsylvani a County, Virginia. They also had land grants in North Carolina.

    Known as John the Emigrant, John Yates embarked on the America to be transported from England to New England from London, William Barker or Barber, captain, June 23, 1635, when he was 20 years old. On May 4, 1636, John Yates received a grant of 150 acres in Elizabeth City county on a neck of land on the east side of the Elizabeth (Nansemond) River for transporting himself, wife Joan and son Richard to New England from England. (In other words, he was returning.) He received another 200 acres on the north side of the Elizabeth River for transporting four persons to New England, including his daughter Mary, in 1636. Thus, apparently, he made three voyages in one year. He is probably also the John Yates, 19, transported in the Hopewell to Barbados, Feb. 17, 1634/5 and identical with the John Yates, ship's carpenter, listed in the crew of the "Foxe" in 1646. He also received a grant of 600 acres in Lower Norfolk county on March 10, 1638 (Book 1, Bishop Meade's Old Churches and Families of Virginia, vol. I, p. 359). In a grant of Sept. 21, 1636, he is called John Gater, and his wife named as Joan Gater. His patents were renewed in the name of John Gater on July 26, 1638 (800 acres by now). With his wife's 200, he owned an even 1,000 acres when he died. He was churchwarden of Lynhaven parish in 1642 and died before August 1648, when his widow Joan was made administrator of his affairs by the Lower Norfolk County court. An Epaphroditus Lawson sued him for a debt in 1639, prosecuting the affair for ten years. He lived in what became Dorchester in Norfolk County on a neck of land bounded by the creek called Dun out of the Mire. His grants were on the Nansemond River in a place called Kicoughtan by the Nansemond Indians. Most of the land grantees were from Dorsetshire and surrounding area in southern England. He was a shipwright, or as we might say today, "ship engineer." His descendants moved first to Halifax County (Brunswick, then Lunenburg), then Pittsylvania County, Virginia. They also had land grants in North Carolina.
    [Moore_from ancestry_09262007.FTW]

    Known as John the Emigrant, John Yates embarked on the America to be transported from England to New England from London, William Barker or Barber, captain, June 23, 1635, when he was 20 years old. O n May 4, 1636, John Yates received a grant of 150 acres in Elizabeth City county on a neck of land on the east side of the Elizabeth (Nansemond) River for transporting himself, wife Joan and son Richa rd to New England from England. (In other words, he was returning.) He received another 200 acres on the north side of the Elizabeth River for transporting four persons to New England, including his d aughter Mary, in 1636. Thus, apparently, he made three voyages in one year. He is probably also the John Yates, 19, transported in the Hopewell to Barbados, Feb. 17, 1634/5 and identical with the Joh n Yates, ship's carpenter, listed in the crew of the "Foxe" in 1646. He also received a grant of 600 acres in Lower Norfolk county on March 10, 1638 (Book 1, Bishop Meade's Old Churches and Familie s of Virginia, vol. I, p. 359). In a grant of Sept. 21, 1636, he is called John Gater, and his wife named as Joan Gater. His patents were renewed in the name of John Gater on July 26, 1638 (800 acre s by now). With his wife's 200, he owned an even 1,000 acres when he died. He was churchwarden of Lynhaven parish in 1642 and died before August 1648, when his widow Joan was made administrator of hi s affairs by the Lower Norfolk County court. An Epaphroditus Lawson sued him for a debt in 1639, prosecuting the affair for ten years. He lived in what became Dorchester in Norfolk County on a nec k of land bounded by the creek called Dun out of the Mire. His grants were on the Nansemond River in a place called Kicoughtan by the Nansemond Indians. Most of the land grantees were from Dorsetshir e and surrounding area in southern England. He was a shipwright, or as we might say today, "ship engineer." His descendants moved first to Halifax County (Brunswick, then Lunenburg), then Pittsylvani a County, Virginia. They also had land grants in North Carolina.





















    Family/Spouse: Joan Jobe. Joan was born about 1617 in , , , England; died after 1664 in Norfolk, Independent Cities, Virginia, USA. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

    Children:
    1. Richard Yates was born about 1625; and died.
    2. Joan Yates was born about 1629; and died.
    3. Jr. John Yates was born about 1640 in Southampton, Bloomsbury, Middlesex, England; died in 1731.

Generation: 2